I wasn’t joking. OK I have a lot less time than I would love to, as the real world seems to have gone mad. But I am still sticking to one new recipe a week resolution. This time around, I attempted something new where (some) cooking skills were needed. The ingredient? The very non-exotic eggs.After looking trough my cooking books, I decided it is high time to attempt a different approach to the soft boiled egg. I love taking my time and enjoying my Saturday breakfast, which usually includes eggs. This time around poached eggs. The cooking book? The Cook’s Book. First time around.I remember buying this book and being so excited till … it arrived. At which stage I was more intimidated by the book than anything else. Such a collection of elaborate recipes, and famous chefs. When would I ever get the chance/ opportunity to try any of the recipes? So the Cook’s Book went to the ‘cooking books’ corner. Not exactly forgotten, but not used either. Till one Saturday morning.
Voila. Perfect poached eggs. No rocket science I know 🙂
- use very fresh eggs, and at room temperature;
- use a deep pan and bring enough water to cover the eggs to the boil, then let it simmer;
- add a little vinegar and salt to the water;
- break each egg into a small saucer/ bowl;
- try creating a quiet whirl in the pan;
- gently slip the eggs into the middle of the simmering (turning) water;
- remove from the water with a slotted spoon.