Continuing the article from elle belgique with my own thoughts and additions on the 40 snobbish dinner must-dos here are the rest of 20:
- La moleculaire 2011 – is molecular gastronomy back? Was it ever out? We only tried it once at a cooking course – never so at home.
- La nouvelle ripaille – the new ‘feast’ : cooking with offal and cheaper cuts. As boudin noir is a national dish not sure this is a snobbish trend … but it is at no. 22
- Le fond des pots – pantry cooking for friends. Or more accurately, ‘left overs’ cooking.
- Le retour du bouillon – the return of stock. But not stock as we know it. This time around served as sauce in chefy dishes. and sometimes even advertised by chefs.
- Les confettis de legumes – vegetable confetti?!
- Les néo-nems – after néo-beurre (no.12) now the néo-nems. Light and easy to make nems: crab/avocado/mango. What is néo and/or snobbish about these?
- Les pieds nus sous la table – “In my house it’s clean enough to eat on the floor” so off go the shoes and we eat bear-feet.
- La granité de légumes – interesting … vegetable granitas made of cucumber juice, gaspacho, etc
- Les vinaigrattes hype – trendy new combinations for our summer salads (passion fruit/ ginger/ olive oil/ fleur de sel) or winter salad (pomegranate/ xeres wine vinegar).
- Les fils de la cremiere – going ‘local’. Getting to know you butcher (in case you wonder, Frank), your baker, your fishmonger, etc
- Le bon zeste – … zesting your limes, your lemons, your oranges, your grapefruits …
- La cuisine coréenne – the new buzz? Korean food. Which is great. What would be even better? If the resto.be website would list more than 2 Korean restaurants.
- Les salés – salted cupcakes.
- Les conserves chic – using tinned food to create great toast.
- Les mini-cocottes – serving food in mini plates/ mini cocottes. Not really my thing but very big on the FR ‘Un diner presque parfait‘ and NL ‘Komen Eten‘ version of Come Dine With Me.
- Le lard sucré – bacon with a sweet twist: drizzle maple syrup on.
- Le resto ou il faut réserver – I assume this is a temporary no. 37 as The Cube restaurant will close on the 3/07. However if you do want to spend a lot of money then this is your chance.
- L’extincteur fashion – pop colour fire extinguisher? Why not. I’ll go for the green one.
- La cuisine péruvienne ou sépharade – discovering and/or cooking from the Peruvian and Sephardi cuisines.
- Le no. 7 – the owners of Easy Tempo seem to have opened a new restaurant ‘Le Numero 7’. Something to try out soon in our quest for Brussels top 5 restaurants.
Hope you enjoyed these 40 snobbish dinner details put together by elle belgique. I am not sure they are either snobbish or have all to do with dinners, but interesting to discover some and question other.
Do you have any snobbish pet-peeves when it comes to dinners?